Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Frightened Rabbit

When, blog after blog, I find myself reading about the potential record of the year, even though it's only the beginning of June, it's something to pay attention to. Especially when the first thing I read links them to the National, one of my favorite bands, and whose album Boxer was by far my favorite of last year. Frightened Rabbit is a band from Selkirk, Scotland whose music evokes the landscapes of a National song and the pop sensibility of Okkervil River twinged with a Scottish brogue. Marked with hype, at first I wasn't thrilled with what I heard, but after listening to a few songs, I was entranced. After a couple subway listens, I haven't quite gotten the intricacies of their lyrics, but it's definitely left me wanting more. Their new album "Midnight Fight Organ" is definitely a highly recommended summer listen.

No comments: