Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Brooklyn <3

It's been no secret to anyone who has talked with me in the past couple of weeks: I love Brooklyn. Granted, after the chaos that befell just before my departure from Manhattan, any place might seem a pleasing refuge. But falling cranes and closed off streets aside, I think I would be happy to be in Carroll Gardens regardless of the way in which I left the tiny hovel that my last apartment was. Strolling down the sun dappled sidewalk, light filtering through the trees, my friend commented that he felt as if he was in some sort of film set, an idyllic, homey place. And for the most part, it's just about as close to that as you're going to get. I love that when I get out of the subway, I see parents playing with their kids in the yards in front of their houses. I love that there are yards and houses! I love that the trees and plants aren't cordoned off into an architectured park and that the air is filled with birds (and perhaps the distant hum of the BQE) as opposed to being rent by the sound of drilling and construction. I love that it doesn't feel like being in the city, and yet the city is still right there. The calm and space is a most wondrous feeling. I think I'll stay in Brooklyn forever.

No comments: