Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cheesiest Story Ever. Really.

For a long time, I've been a fan of both Blur and Oasis, but have never quite able to make up my mind about with which band my loyalties lie. As an American middle-schooler at the height of the Brit-pop hype, I could sing along to "Champagne Super Nova" and "Song 2," but had little exposure to what was actually going on in the world of mid-1990's British pop music until much later when I studied it in college. While Blur's songs are a bit smarter and definitely have better music videos--I've never been more captivated by milk cartons in love--there's no questioning the greatness of songs like "Live Forever" and particularly "Wonderwall." But now, thanks to a story I read in the British tabloid the Daily Star via New York Magazine's Vulture Blog, I've found out that the two bands are no longer feuding and have bonded over a love of cheese. I totally understand how deep running a person's love of cheese can be and I'm thrilled that I no longer feel the need to choose sides, but this story will probably tickle me all day.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/goss/view/28076/Rock-rivals-cheese-role/

No comments: