Monday, February 25, 2008

oh, oscar night

Jon Stewart was a good Oscar host. Though it wasn't the most riveting of ceremonies, he made some funny jokes (and perhaps a couple in poor taste). However, one of the best things he did all night was allowing Marketa Irglova to come back onto the stage after a commercial break to speak, since she was cut off after winning the Oscar for Best Song for the movie, "Once". And I'm glad he did, for in a night of relatively un-painful speeches, hers wasn't long, but entirely heartfelt. More so than perhaps any film, "Once" (definitely my favorite movie of the year) was the underdog, a film made for $100,000 that wasn't expected to go anywhere and ended up with a relatively large international release and positive press from just about every meaningful source. Here's what she said:

Marketa Irglova: "Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along way. Thank you."

Watching the acceptance speeches often leaves me me a bit teary eyed; perhaps a combination of excitement for the winner and a bit of dreamy-ness on my part, for I not-so-secretly hope to be in their shoes one day. For the first time in a number of years, this year I felt most of the appropriate people won. It was less of a political situation--well, he didn't win last year when he really was the best, so we're going to give the little man to him this year--and more of a celebration of the best films this year. The way it's supposed to be.

And so after a night of winners, most of whom, like Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard or Marion Cotillard (who won for best actress for portraying Edith Piaf in La Vie En Rose) or even the Cohen brothers who stood there barely cracking a smile and have plenty of statues gracing their mantles already, truly deserved to win and really appreciated the recognition, I am feeling a bit sentimental. It makes me long for the time when I really believed I would someday be sitting amongst all those people, even if only for one of the awards during the hour in the middle of the show most people tune out because it is one of the boring awards that the normal-ish people win. But also, for the first time in a while, I feel that perhaps this still could come true. And, if nothing else, while I'm sitting at my desk today answering phones, it's a nice thought to have.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Doing my commenting all at once... :-)

Reading this post reminded me that I saw "Once" on my On Demand menu yesterday. It was the first time I'd really explored my TV's On Demand services -- kinda bored at the time -- and, well, I hadn't realized how many great movies there were to rent right from home!

The service costs money, which is a major drawback, but it occurred to me that I can now watch "Sydney White," starring Amanda Bynes, without enduring snide looks from the Blockbuster employees or the wait of a Netflix order. Hurray for technology! (That is, assuming I wanted to watch "Sydney White," which is, you know, a total chick flick and probably not a very good one at that.)

Kathy said...

every time they give this award at the oscars, i think of you!